Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Rose Colored Glasses



Driving home from Utah to California, I woke from a long nap somewhere in the middle of Nevada. Roy was driving with a big smile on his face and a "little bounce in his drive" (if that can be a phrase) (cause that was what he was actually doing) - "So, Roy, how's the drive?" Roy looks over to me with a big grin. "It's fantastic, great, everything's wonderful." I'm a little unsure, I mean he has to have been driving a long time now with no break so I inquire further, "Are you sure you aren't tired?" Roy again looks at me with that contagious grin "Really, I'm fine, I'm just loving how beautiful the colors are this year in Nevada. They are so much greener and richer. It's just been wonderful." Having driven Nevada several times in my life, I cynically look out the window. Hmmmmmm......Then I look back at Roy.........sure enough, Roy has his dark green sunglasses on. "Roy! It's your sunglasses - the desert's just the same." Roy puts his hand up to his glasses and takes the snap on shades off. "Wow! No kidding - it was just the glasses! Isn't that amazing?" Yeah it certainly is. Roy was happy thinking that Nevada was a verdant desert and now he's happy that he has magical glasses. Roy just happens to be the kind of person who looks at life with rose (or green) colored glasses. Amazing?....... Yeah.

9 comments:

angie said...

great story.

Ann said...

that is an adorable story--and I can just picture it! Roy is so positive...only he could think the boring Nevada dessert is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

This story reminds me of another story Roy once told me. He was driving through Nevada (again) and was a little bored so he tied some string to the nose piece of his glasses and manuvered the sting over his head and down to his side. As other cars drove by he would turn, smile, and pull the string. I guess it created a kind of a wave to the other drivers (or just a form of amusement for a bored driver).

Dacia said...

YOU DO FABULOUS AT MAKING US SMILE!!! We feel so blessed to have gotten to spend so much time with you yesterday! You have a wonderful family and we sure love you!

For now said...

I love your stories- they make me laugh right out loud! And more than that, I love picturing dad just smiling away at that beautiful nevada!

Anonymous said...

Man i wish rose colored glasses were totally in style b/c they are awesome

Anonymous said...

Mom Im ready to see what those flowers looked like...please!

catherine said...

ok, abbie, it may take a day or so...

Lane said...

This made me laugh OUT LOUD! Ryan once described Nevada as having the power to "suck the will to live right out of your pathetic corpse."

Not Roy! Catherine, you are a great writer with comic timing.