Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Head over Heels or High Wide and Handsome?


Anyone that has seen me water the lawn, weed the garden, paint a craft, cook a new recipe or more recently, cut hair…..surely has seen a woman “jumping in with both feet”, “flying by the seat of her pants”, or as a past Bishop described me, “that woman is a loose cannon.” Defintion: an unpredictable person or thing, liable to cause damage if not kept in check by others. Because James recently gave a lecture on “idioms”, I decided to use his lesson to try and describe why I chose this picture to accompany my blog name. It seemed the most representative of all the idioms that describe me. “Head over heel” seemed appropriate, but interestingly enough the phrases that seemed on the mark had swear words in them – like –“Hell bent for leather”, or "arse over teakettle”. (That one gave me a chuckle) You know, I always start with such good intentions. I see a small weed in my garden – I bend down in my Sunday dress – ahhhh…another weed…another…compacted earth…needs mulch…sack of mulch is new….grab anything handy to gouge hole in sack…sack explodes…try to clean up before Roy sees…, I think you get the idea. Oh did I mention, ALWAYS, dirt in apparently hilarious locations on my person. Let’s see… What about, “Helter-Skelter”, Meaning: In chaotic and disorderly haste. Or, “Pell-Mell”, Meaning: In disorderly confusion. The trouble is I am opposed to the negative connotations implied in all these idioms. I maintain there is passion, enthusiasm, and yes, a good deal of grace involved in my spontaneous jags. HAZAAAAA! I have found it! “ HIGH, WIDE, and HANDSOME” Meaning: In a carefree and stylish manor. Stylish…hmmm…Stylish… I’ll take it! (for those of you wondering, high-wide-and handsome, originated in the mid 1900's in reference to the independent cowboy)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Catherine! The great! at so many things due to your ability to totally immerse in nano-seconds. Can't wait for the next adventure.

angie said...

you forgot to mention: you with a leaf blower = loose canon - but what fun for me to see!

Anonymous said...

While reading head over heels i had to take a minute to remember the wonderful moment in sacrament when you got up and then went right back down...thanks sam ashby.

For now said...

you make my heart soar!! I love the image of you picking a weed in your sunday dress- and then it leading to who know what. . .
but that is what we love about you!

This also made me think of "this is why middle age women should stay at home."

Anonymous said...

I still remember following the trail of clothes that lay hap hazardly across the beach, screaming forr dad to stop you as you swam farther and farther into the dropping sun as you chased a pod of dolphins, certainly to a distance that my six year old mind was sure that you would never return.