Thursday, March 1, 2007

Why Atticus?


If I could become one character out of all the characters I've read about in fiction, it would definitly be Atticus Finch, from Harper Lee's "To Kill a Mockingbird". And yes, that includes serious thinking about Jane Eyre, Elizabeth Bennett, and Woodstock, (who I feel lives a life of great creativity, ease, and a slightly warped sense of humour). But, there never has been serious compettition for the place of Atticus. His strength, courage and kindness are equal in their depth, and he has a fierce sense of humilty and gentleness. I love that one can be fierce in gentleness , fierce in kindness and fierce in humility. Just saying the name aloud..."Atticus", fills me with the best I could ever hope to be. I guess you could learn a great deal about me by reading the book. Wouldn't that be a great game at a party...Write the fictional character you would most like to become, then everyone place the names in a hat and read aloud and have everyone guess who chose which character. But I would love to go further and have each person tell why that particular character has a hold on them. I feel like we would learn so much more about a person from such an exercise, than a series of conversations at school, work or church. I like that idea so much, that you now have been warned if you come to my house for a party or just a informal chat.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deep, sensitive and real! To respond with words is in adequate...keep writing and sharing and caring.

angie said...

Lately, my literature seems to be filled with more pictures than great prose -- perhaps I would be Olivia, Queen of the Trampoline!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful would it be to be such an individual that you didn't need to identify with a character, instead people can identify with you.

Anonymous said...

Not to say that it is bad, I love atticus and i think he is a most upstanding man to relate to

Anonymous said...

Mom love the blog, the background seems familure

Anonymous said...

This is motivating me to go back and re-read To Kill a Mockingbird. I know a few people who share the same love for this character that you do. Our friends named their new-born baby Atticus! I love it.

Anonymous said...

My first comment and I send it before I was even done. Mome love the blog, the background seems familure, I always new I had good taste. (I picked out the same one for Jess's blog.)

For now said...

My literature: all blogs!!! I love atticus, I love To Kill a Mockingbird. I am with Jess- I want to go back and re-read it. I love when you said just saying his name fills you with power. So true. Pete: So happy to see you here!!

Katianne said...

Your love for "To Kill a Mockingbird" passed down because Emily and I would always pretend we were Scout and "spy" on Boo Radley in the little house behind the Annex at church.